Brandon & Jenna

Monday, October 17, 2011

Practicum Assignment

    Finally, after all the talk, speculation and waiting I have received my assignment for my first practicum! For anyone unaware as to what a practicum is and why I would be so excited about it I will explain. A practicum is where the elementary education majors at BYU take a month out from their regular semester and go into the local elementary schools and observe, and more importantly gain some real, whole-class teaching experience.
   This is the part of the program when you really get to get into the heart of teaching and get your hands dirty. This is where we get to see if/ how all of the  theories, and principles that they teach us work in a real classroom, with real students. This is where we get to apply what we have been learning. Most importantly this is the reason we get to see the reason why we are becoming teachers. To help real students in real situations.
    Well we start our first journey into the world of teaching a week from tomorrow, October 25th 2011. And today that step seems much more real then before. Today I received my assignment to work in Westmore Elementary School in Orem. I will be working in a second grade classroom, which is a little unnerving because I have no previous experience working in second grade. However, hopefully this will be a great learning opportunity. So ready or not here it comes. The real word is beckoning and this will be my real first step into it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment